Oktoberfest Beer Mustard
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Pair this tangy-sweet mustard with smoked and grilled meats, salami, or bratwurst.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 1-1/2 cups beer
- 1 cup brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 5 Ball® (4 oz) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- COMBINE beer and brown mustard seeds in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand at room temperature until seeds have absorbed most of the moisture, about 2 hours.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- PLACE mustard seeds and remaining liquid in a food processor or blender. Process until chopped and slightly grainy.
- TRANSFER mixture to a large saucepan. Whisk in water, vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard and onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until volume is reduced by a third, about 15 minutes.
- LADLE hot mustard into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.