Papaya Vanilla Jam
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Papaya's luscious tropical flavor makes a wonderful jam that pairs beautifully with toast, pastries and ice cream.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 6 cups peeled, cubed ripe papaya
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Stir together papaya, sugar, and lemon juice in a 6-qt. stainless steel or enameled Dutch oven, add vanilla seeds. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and mash papaya with a potato masher. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, about 30 minutes, to gelling point. Skim foam, if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar, leaving 1⁄4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place jar in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid, and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours; they should not flex up and down when center is pressed