Peach and Toasted Almond Jam
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Summery peaches and toasted almonds are an ideal pair in this luscious perfectly sweetened jam. This long cook recipe uses the natural pectin inherent in fruit, check for gel stage periodically toward end of cooking.
Makes about 4 (8 oz) half-pint jars
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 2 ½ pounds firm-ripe peaches, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Place peaches in a wide heavy bottomed saucepan. Use a potato masher to gently break peaches down.
- Combine all ingredients, except toasted almonds, in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir jam frequently until it thickens and reaches gelling point (220°), about 15-20 minutes. Stir in toasted almonds.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.