Pears in Syrup - Auto Canner
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball® freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
You Will Need
You Will Need
For 4 pints (16 oz.), use:
- 3 to 5 lbs ripe pears (about 10 medium per lb)
- 1-2/3 cups granulated sugar (1 batch medium syrup)*
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 4 Ball® brand Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
FOR 3 Quarts (32 OZ.), USE
- 9 to 10 pounds ripe, firm pears (about 12 to 27 medium)
- 3-1/4 cups granulated sugar (1 batch medium syrup)*
- 5 cups water
- 3 Ball® brand Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
Bartlett pears are considered best for canning. Kieffer pears and similar varieties are satisfactory if properly ripened and cooked in water instead of syrup until almost tender, drained and then packed in jars with a light syrup.
To treat pears to prevent browning, combine 2 tsp Ball® brand Fruit-Fresh with 3 tbsp water. Toss 4 cups of cut pears in mixture. Make more Fruit-Fresh mixture as needed to coat all cut pears. Or, submerge cut pears in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.
*For a light syrup, combine 1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar and 2-2/3 cups water for 4 pint jars or 2-1/4 cups granulated sugar and 5-1/4 cups water for 3 quart jars.
Prepare Your Fruit
- WASH, peel and core pears; cut pears in half. Treat to prevent browning, drain.
- USE light or medium syrup*. To prepare syrup: combine sugar and water in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low to keep syrup hot; do not boil down.
- WARM pears one layer at a time over medium-low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes per layer. In the meantime, pre-heat your jars.
Pre-Heat Your Empty Jars
- REMOVE Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
- PRESS Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with fruit.
Preserve Your Fruit
- UNLOCK and open Appliance Lid.
- REMOVE one hot jar. Close Lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Using a slotted spoon, pack hot pears into hot jar, cavity side down and overlapping layers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Ladle hot syrup into hot jar to cover pears, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot syrup. Wipe rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
- REPEAT step 2 until all jars are filled with pears and syrup and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
- PRESS Fruits, then press Recipe 4. Press Start to begin preserving.
- THE APPLIANCE will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your fruit has been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
- REMOVE jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel. Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Check lids for seal. Label and store your jars.