UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
This combination of fresh green tomatoes and cabbage makes an excellent relish that is particularly delicious spooned over grilled chicken.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 5 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1-1/2 med heads)
- 4 cups chopped cored green tomatoes, unpeeled (about 8 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped seeded red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped seeded green bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 3 Tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup Ball® Mixed Pickling Spice
- 4 Tbsp coarsely chopped gingerroot
- 2 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 to 7 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Optional: Ball® freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
- COMBINE cabbage, green tomatoes, onions, red and green peppers and salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and let stand in a cool place for 12 hours or overnight. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink and drain. Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly. Using your hands, squeeze out excess liquid. Set aside.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside
- TIE pickling spice, gingerroot and mustard seeds in a square of cheesecloth creating a spice bag.
- COMBINE drained cabbage mixture, vinegar, water, sugar, turmeric and spice bag in a large stainless steel saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Uncover and boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 1 hour, until thickened to the consistency of a thin commercial relish. Discard spice bag.
- LADLE hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding more hot relish. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS jars for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid and let stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.