Rhubarb Orange Chutney
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Makes about 6 (8 oz) half-pint jars
For fresh flavor that elevates your dishes this summer, try Ball®’s Orange Rhubarb Chutney! This recipe is full of chopped rhubarb, raisins, and orange juice and seasoned with ginger, all spice, and curry, so every bite is sure to be packed with flavor. Try this chutney with some curried vegetables and papadum or as an addition to a charcuterie platter.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ball®Mixed Pickling Spice
- 4 Tbsp grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb
- 5 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 3-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Tie peppercorns, mustard seeds and pickling spice in a square of cheesecloth, creating a spice bag. Set aside.
- Combine orange zest and juice, rhubarb, brown sugar, vinegar, onions, raisins, garlic, and ginger in a large stainless-steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Add curry powder, allspice, and reserved spice bag; stir well. Boil gently, stirring frequently, until thick enough to mound on spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Ladle hot chutney into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.