Saucy Sloppy Joe Starter
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Have plenty of napkins on hand! This rich sauce is kid-friendly, but we bet the adults will go for seconds too.
Recipe excerpted from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving, published by Oxmoor House (2016).
You Will Need
You Will Need
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups finely chopped green bell pepper (about 2 large)
- 3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper (about 2 large)
- 2 cups diced onion (about 2 large)
- 4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup roasted tomato paste*
- 4 cups tomato sauce*
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F . Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Spread green bell pepper and next 2 ingredients on prepared pan. Stir in salt and pepper. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Ladle hot sauce into a hot jar, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place jar in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.