KOSHER DILL PICKLE SPEARS
A classic dill pickle full of robust flavor, this a great place to start if you are new to canning pickles. A pinch of Ball® Pickle Crisp will help keep the crunch.
- 2 ½ lbs 3-4 inch pickling cucumbers
- 2- ½ cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Ball® Salt for Pickling and Preserving
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 small bay leaves
- 12 dill sprigs
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 4 small hot peppers (optional)
- Ball® Pickle Crisp (optional)
- Makes about 4 (16 oz) pint jars
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Wash cucumbers and hot peppers in cold water. Slice 1/16 of an inch off the blossom end of each cucumber; trim stem ends so cucumbers measure about 3 inches. Cut cucumbers into quarters lengthwise.
- Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small stainless saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat to simmer.
- Place 1 garlic clove, 3 dill sprigs, ½ tsp mustard seed, 1 bay leaf and 1 red pepper and Ball® Pickle Crisp (if desired) into a hot jar. Pack cucumber spears into jar, leaving a ½ inch headspace. Trim any cucumbers that are too tall.
- Ladle hot brine into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
Need More Inspiration?
Try making the Pork in a Pickle Sandwich with your Kosher Dill Pickles
This twist on a classic Cuban Sandwich uses thick, smoky bacon in place of roast pork. Ham, bacon and homemade kosher dill pickles melted together with Swiss cheese, what’s not to love?
- 4 loaves Cuban bread, or small ciabattas
- 2 tbsp deli mustard
- 12 strips of thick-cut bacon, pre-cooked
- 8 slices roast ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 10 kosher dill pickle spears, each sliced in half lengthwise
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- Kosher dill pickles spears to serve
- Makes 4 sandwiches
- Split each loaf of bread in half widthwise; open halves and spread one side with mustard, one side with mayonnaise. Lay a slice of Swiss cheese on the bottom half, add 2 slices ham, 3 strips bacon and 5 pickle spear slices, season with black pepper to taste; top with remaining slice of Swiss cheese. Close sandwich and press firmly down on bread, flattening it slightly.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet or griddle over medium heat, add sandwiches to skillet, top with an additional heavy skillet or sandwich press to weight sandwiches down. Grill 5 minutes on one side, flip sandwich, returning heavy skillet or press, and grill 5-7 minutes more, until bread is a golden color and cheese is melting.
- Serve immediately with additional kosher dill pickle spears.