MIXED BERRY JAM
Mix and match your favorite berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries to create a quick and delightful jam using Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin.
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine berries in an 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam, if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
Need More Inspiration?
Try making Mixed Berry Hand Pies with your Mixed Berry Jam
- 1- 8 oz. jar mixed berry jam
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 3 tbsp. milk for brushing dough
- 3 tbsp. sugar, for topping
- 1 recipe Simple Flaky Pastry Dough (see below), divided into 8 portions
- 2 baking sheets lined with parchment
- Makes 8 hand pies
- Combine blueberries, cornstarch and lemon zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Roll each ball of dough out to a 5-6 inch round on a well floured surface, adding more flour as necessary to keep dough from sticking. Work in batches of 4.
- Spread 2 tbsp mixed berry jam in to center of each round, leaving a ½ inch edge to seal, top with ¼ cup blueberry mixture. Fold dough in half over filling, using the tines of a fork to press edges together. Place each finished hand pie on prepared baking sheet. Brush pies with milk and sprinkle with sugar and cut a decorative slit into top of pie. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place hand pies on baking sheets lined with parchment and refrigerator for 20 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Bake hand pies in the center of the oven until filling is bubbly and crust is golden, about 25 minutes.
SIMPLE FLAKY PASTRY DOUGH
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour, plus up to ½ cup for rolling
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz. (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup ice cold water
- Blend dry ingredients together in the bowl of a food processor. Add butter in two batches, pulsing quickly in between each batch until small pea-sized pieces are formed. Add 1/4 cup ice cold water all at once, pulse quickly, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough begins to form a ball.
- Flour your rolling surface using a ¼ cup flour, turn dough out onto it. Roll dough into a rough rectangle using as much additional flour as necessary to keep it from sticking, being careful to still leave visible chunks of butter, this is what makes the dough flaky. Fold both sides of rectangle in toward the center, using a large metal spatula or dough scraper if necessary, then fold dough in half top to bottom, forming a square, roll dough to combine layers, adding more flour as necessary to keep dough from sticking. Pat dough back into a square, divide into 8 pieces, wrap in plastic and cool in refrigerator for 20 minutes.