Tomato Juice - Auto Canner
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball® freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
You Will Need
You Will Need
For 4 pints (16 oz.), use:
- 6-1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored
- 1 tsp Ball® brand Citric Acid*, divided
- 2 tsp salt (optional), divided
- 4 Ball® brand Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
For 3 quarts (32 oz.), use:
- 9-3/4 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored
- 1-1/2 tsp Ball® brand Citric Acid*, divided
- 3 tsp salt (optional), divided
- 3 Ball® brand Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
Tip: *You may use bottled lemon juice in place of Citric Acid. You will need 4 tbsp bottled lemon juice, divided, for 4 pints or 6 tbsp, divided, for 3 quarts.
Tip: Be sure to add citric acid or bottled lemon juice to each jar before adding your tomato juice.
Prepare Your Tomato Juice
- WASH tomatoes; drain. Remove any bruised or discolored tomatoes. Core tomatoes and remove blossom ends, then cut into quarters. In a large stainless steel saucepan, simmer tomatoes until soft, stirring to prevent sticking. In the meantime, pre-heat your jars.
- JUICE tomatoes in a food processor or food mill. Strain juice to remove peels and seeds. Discard skins and seeds.
- HEAT tomato juice for 5 minutes at simmering (180-190°F) but do not boil.
Pre-Heat Your Empty Jars
- REMOVE Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
- PRESS Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with tomatoes.
Preserve Your Jars
- UNLOCK and open Appliance Lid.
- REMOVE one hot jar. Close lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Add 1/4 tsp Citric Acid per pint, 1/2 tsp per quart. Or, add 1 tbsp bottled lemon juice per pint, 2 tbsp per quart. Add 1/2 tsp salt per pint, 1 tsp per quart, if using. Ladle hot juice into jar, leaving 1-inch headspace. Wipe rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
- REPEAT step 2 until all jars are filled with juice and returned
- to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
- PRESS Tomatoes then press Recipe 3. Press Start to begin preserving.
- THE APPLIANCE will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your juice has been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
- REMOVE jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel. Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Refer to the After Canning section on page 21 to learn how to check lids for seals and store your jars.