Watermelon, Cucumber, Jalapeño Pickles
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
A classic watermelon rind pickle taken to new heights with jalapeño slices and cucumbers. Recipe excerpted from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving, published by Oxmoor House (2016).
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 6 Tbsp. Ball® Salt for Pickling & Preserving, divided
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 (8-lb.) watermelon*
- 2 lb. medium pickling cucumbers, such as Kirby
- 1⁄2 lb. jalapeño peppers
- Ice cubes
- 2 Tbsp. pickling spice
- Cheesecloth Kitchen String
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 18 whole cloves
- 6 Ball® Pint (16 oz) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Ball® Pickle Crisp (optional)
- Optional: Ball® freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
2. After 3 hours, dissolve remaining 2 Tbsp. salt in 1 qt. water in another large bowl.
3. Scrub cucumbers under cold running water. Cut cucumbers into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices to measure 6 cups. Remove stems from jalapeños; cut into 1⁄2-inch -thick slices to measure 2 cups. Place cucumber and jalapeño slices in salt water in second bowl. Cover with a thick layer of ice cubes. Cover and let stand 3 hours.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drain rind, discarding brine; rinse. Drain. Rinse bowl. Add drained rind to boiling water. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain; return rind to rinsed bowl.
5. Drain cucumber mixture, discarding brine and any unmelted ice cubes. Rinse cucumber mixture; drain.
6. Place pickling spice on a 4-inch square of cheesecloth; tie with kitchen string. Bring sugar, vinegar, spice bag, and remaining 1 cup water to a boil in a 6-qt. stainless steel or enameled Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add rind and cucumber mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard spice bag.
8. Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid, and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
*Choose a watermelon with pickling in mind, making sure the rind is firm and bright colored, free of bruises.